Experience Vancouver like never before! This February, Vancouver Mural Festival Winter Arts blurs the line between the virtual and real-world with a creative new way to safely explore and discover the city.
From February 12-28, 2021, public space across Vancouver’s core will be transformed
into an interactive, open-air gallery featuring Augmented Reality (AR) art by local and international artists.
In a year marked by social distancing, VMF has reimagined new opportunities for artistic and cultural development in Vancouver, safely connecting art and people in public space. In spring 2020, VMF brightened streets and inspired hope with #MakeArtWhileApart murals on boarded-up storefronts. In summer 2020, it reimagined and expanded the annual Vancouver Mural Festival to 9 neighbourhoods to support more communities.
Now for winter 2021, VMF partners with the Downtown Vancouver BIA to present VMF Winter Arts. Combining the spirit of the annual Vancouver Mural Festival with innovative digital technology, VMF Winter Arts creates an open-air experience featuring 20+ augmented reality artworks across Vancouver’s core, that feature international artists from Vienna, Tokyo, Ho Chi Minh, Dallas, as well as 10 local artists from Vancouver, Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil Waututh.
HOW TO EXPERIENCE VMF WINTER ARTS:
- Find the AR locations: (1) Download the VMF mobile app (App Store/Google Play), or (2) Download the digital map from vanmuralfest.ca
- Scan the QR codes (on signs at the AR sites) via the camera on your smartphone. Select Instagram or Facebook to activate the filter.
- Share your photo/video on social media with the hashtag #VMFWinterArts (automatically enter to win prizes)
- Learn more about VMF/art/artists: (1) Visit vanmuralfest.ca, (2) Follow @vanmuralfest on Instagram and Facebook, and (3) Download the (free) VMF mobile app
- Participate in a free VPL-hosted online Discussions or Workshop (details on coming soon)
You can get a sneak peek of the VMF Winter Arts’ Augmented Reality experience by scanning the QR code in the image below from your phone (an active Instagram or Facebook account with the latest version on your is required for the experience).